Is it over?

lollimama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Just wondering, is it normal for a hen (about 2 yrs. old) to molt and then start laying again only to lay weird eggs over and over? She laid a very STRANGE egg with a tail first (I posted it a while back), and in the last two weeks since then, she's laid about 7 eggs, only two of which were nice and normal and only 1 which was in the nest box. The other eggs have been at night off the roost (splat!) and very softshelled. Like I said, she's 2 yrs old, and experienced egg layer! Do they go through an adjustment period after a molt?

Rosie gets layer pellets, free choice oyster shell and BOSS on a daily basis - but I'm afraid she gets most of her food from foraging in the yard all day.
I did start crushing up eggshells and just mixing them into her feed since the oyster shell just sits there with no action. I started this about 2 days ago - with a soft egg last night still.

My question is will she go back to normal after a while or is her time over? She's my ONLY one laying right now, ugh.

One other fact, we are in the post Duramycin period of waiting right now (will be able to eat the eggs on 10/19). Could this medicine have done something to her? She had the sniffles and sneezing before hand, but the medicine took care of it. Thanks for any advice!!

Yes, I have received soft shelled eggs after a molt. I think it's normal and just the egg factory starting back up again. My girl laid a couple soft eggs, then went to normal eggs again only much bigger.

Thanks for the insight! That makes me optomistic. I'll forge ahead and hope for the best with her...I guess thats really my only option anyway. She seems perky and happy, I have just come to expect a soft shelled egg underneath her roost every other morning. It's been at least 4-5 of them in the last two weeks!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom