Is it pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by John01, Feb 26, 2008.

1. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Haven't taken a pic yet... Got my peeps today, 6 of em from MPC. It's a great thing...

They were all clean upon arrival. Got home from work 4 hours later and one of my RIR has poop on his but, it isn't dried or caked up yet

Is this normal or is it the start of pasting?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Clean the butt off and watch to see what happens. If it is sticky and clumping it will dry and clog them up and they will get sick. You can be a little ahead of the game when you clean their hiney and dry them off and put a little vaseline around their vent.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes stress from shipping, not drinking enough water can make chicks start pasting up....olive oil and a Q-tip are also good to help take the poos off......

4. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Ok, I've cleaned and olive oiled. I noticed a pulsing from the butt area, is this a protruded vent? It is definitely different than any of the other 5 chicks, you cant even see their butts through the fluff.

Thanks in advance

5. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:No, all their little butts do that when they're de-fuzzed. I just check all their butts once a day and clean any before it gets too hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by