Is it possible a hen will lay an egg with no shell at all?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddock36, Nov 20, 2009.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If I wasn't nearby I wouldn't have believed it could be possible but I saw my Barred Rock sitting in the coop and when she got up there was an egg in perfect condition without any shell. It looked like someone cracked open an egg in the coop. The yolk was still intact but there was not even the slightest hint of a shell.

2. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    My dad and grandma say that after a thunderstorm they would have several eggs like that! I always wondered if it was true. Their theory was that the thundered scared the hens and they popped em out early. Lol

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Very common

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You want to make certain that she didn't break the egg internally and that she doesn't have egg shell lodged in the ovaduct.

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    When she came out of the coup she looked fine from what I could see.

6. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had that on occasion. I started putting out some crushed oyster shells and that the girls can pick at freely and the "soft" shells are a thing of the past.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is most common when they come into and go out of their lay cycle. Also, when startled, they can prematurely pass an egg (night time most often).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by