Is it possible doe is too big for buck?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ronshoney, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Probably a stupid question but the buck with the girls is a mini- nubian and the mini nubian doe seems to be pregnant but not the togg./alpine doe as i am pretty sure she was just in heat a couple weeks ago. He has been with her constantly since July. Is it possible she is too big?? I see him try but he doesn't seem to have the height and she is not cooperating.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yep. Too short and they can't complete the deed. I have to have a huge buck to service my herd queen. She is about 175lbs - a small pony LOL

3. ronshoney

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    now you would think she would cooperate a bit.... dogs manage it... he keeps standing on the spool s waiting for her but then he falls off....[​IMG]

4. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    It really depends on the height difference.... I have a doe that is larger than my buck by less than 7 inches and he managed just fine.....

I have to say he really does prefer the shorter ones.....

[​IMG]

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    If you really want it to happen, watch for her heat and get him a platform. It will work.

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yep my Nigi buck bred my Alpine doe with not a problem at all...I would keep watch and help the little guy if he is too short. done that before too...talk about sticky buck...got to love them goats....

7. ronshoney

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Thanks for the ideas I will give them a try as I have 3 bucks of my own so I really don't want to have to get her bred somewhere else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by