1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it possible for a 7 month old pullet to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmaonaigh, May 17, 2011.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Is it possible for a 7 month old pullet to go broody? One of my SLWs is doing the growl, puffing up and continuing to sit in the nesting boxes. Is this even possible?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Yes, I had a 6 month old EE go broody.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Yes. I've had a White Leghorn, an Ameraucana, and her half-sister Olive Egger all go broody between 6 - 7 months. The last two are still sitting as we speak - today is hatch day - but no peeps yet!

I joke that it's because I work with pregnant/ parenting teens all day long in the school system. Something rubs off and transfers to my chickens - I only have 9 total and have had 3 broody 'teen moms' in one year. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    VERY POSSIBLE!
    I am a breeder of American Gamefowl of 15 years and it is not an odd occurrence to see a hen go broody for the first time at around seven months in my flock. Especially hens born in Sept. or Oct. because they start to lay in spring. Typically however, my American Gamefowl hens will not brood until the spring that follows the year she was born.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My black australorp went broody in March at 8 months. She was a really good broody and pretty good mom. The reason I say pretty good is at 4 weeks she said enough of babies and went back to the flock. They are finishing up inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by