Is it possible for a chicken to lay more than 1 egg in 1 day?

Deviledegg

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2015
Hi all!
A few days ago I went out to our flock of 4 for a mid-day check-in. Somehow there were 7 eggs! All were healthy, a good size, and not soft shelled. The nesting box had been cleaned out that morning and there were no eggs then. We have 2 cuckoo marans and 2 ameraucanas. This was the first time this has happened and also the first time 1 of our cuckoo marans had laid after her winter "break". There were 4 brown eggs and 3 blue eggs. (Brown=marans, Blue=Ameraucanas)

So...Is it possible for a chicken to lay more than 1 egg in 1 day?
Thanks for your thoughts!
smile.png

Yes, it happens upon occasion, but it would be really bizarre for it to happen to 3 hens in a flock of 4. Could anyone be playing a trick on you?

Thanks for that advice. The eggs were surley real. They had a little dirt and everything. It was also an oddly warm day for February.

You are not alone - it happened to me today. Amazing ! One of my Auracuana hens laid 2 eggs today. She is one of 9 hens, the only Auracuana and the only one that lays blue/green eggs (so I know it was her). My hens will be 11 months old in April.

I have had one double egg, but one egg was about 1/2 an inch wide and VERY soft. It was by the same chicken at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom