1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it possible for a chicken to sprain her back toe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Zoo, Sep 9, 2009.

1. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I came home from vacation to a chicken with a pretty serious limp. Other than that she's fine.
    She will let me manipulate her three front toes but when I touch the back one she flails around. I've isolated her in a kennel for the past 3 days and it's gotten a little better but not much. I don't think it's broken as she can curl that foot up completely. She is eating and drinkign fine, there's no swelling, its just very sensitive.
    Can chickens take advil?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Advil is too strong. Pain med for a chicken is 5 regular aspirin dissolved in 1 Gal of water. It will just take the edge off.

I would bet it is broken in the toe or at least was pulled way back and was dislocated or something. As long as there is no swelling and no other problems, then she should be fine with nothing more then TIME.

Matt

3. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    thanks - should I keep her isolated or can I put her back in the coop?

4. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    As long as there is no one that picks on her, she should be fine and probably happier with the other birds. Just remember she will not move around a whole lot while it is still really sore.

She should start to slowly get better in a few days. If it is the tendens and not the bone that takes LONGER to heal.

If she can roost, I would not let her be too high for jumping down in the mornings.

Matt

5. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    thanks - I put her back out and we'll see how she does. If it gets worse, I'll bring her back in. I gave her a 1/4 tablet of a baby aspirin. Should I do that once a day?

It's always something with these guys!

6. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    she's still limping pretty badly [​IMG]

I've been giving her 1/4 baby aspirin a day - does anyone know if that's too much or just right? I've got her outside with the others but she's definitely not getting better. AUGH!

7. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The aspirin was only to make her confortable so you could check her. After a couple days she doesn't need it.

The pain killer can do more harm then good at this point. The pain lets her know how much pressure she can place on the injury without causing more damage. With the little bit of pain killer, she can put more pressure on it and may be keeping it from getting well.

An injury like this will not get better in just a few days. It will take a good week to see any progress and it could take longer.

Just get a check on her for infection and I would go over her again to make sure there is nothing else wrong.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by