Is it possible for a hen to be sterile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AHDCST, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I have a Dominique hen that is at least a year old and NO eggs,Nothing, NADA! Is it possible for a hen to be sterile. Her sister has laid and molted and is laying again. The rooster is doing the rooster thing with her, she has a beet red and plump comb and she sits in a nesting box but has never laid a single egg. Could she be older then I think and done with laying? I am just confused. Anybody have any advice or suggestions?

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Did you purchase her when she was young? I was just wondering if she was perhaps more than a few years old. How long have you had her? Trying to figure how long she has gone without laying an egg.

3. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] My husband bought her and another hen at the same time. I have had her since June of last year. The other hen has been laying for several months and the rooster just has small nubs for spurs. The lady that sold them to him said she was young and hadn't started to lay yet. I am starting to wonder the same thing, is she too old? How can I tell the age of a hen?

4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I am not sure how to tell the age of a hen, but maybe someone else on here will answer. Sometimes when you first get a hen, she may stop laying for a while due to stress, but usually picks up again in a month or so. Since June seems like way too long. Either she is older than they said or she is just not a good egg layer (or sterile???).

5. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I really think she is just sterile. She appears to be the same age as the other hen who has laid, molted and is laying again. The only other explanation is could she or the other hen or rooster be eating her egg? My husband is going to put his trail cam up so we can see what happens during the day. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have an old EE hen that has probably given me a dozen eggs in her 9 years. Every one is a long torpedo shape. First one was laid when she was 4. This is very unusual but it does happen.

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, it sounds as if she is sterile. Maybe you could post a pictures so we could calculate a rough age? Sorry, it happens. I just hope its not the case for my 31 week old leghorn who hasn't layed yet...

8. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a year old hen and she's only laid 2 eggs.

9. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG]I guess she is sterile. Anybody want a Sweet little Dominique hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by