Is it possible for a hen to lay two eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MsChickenMomma, Mar 1, 2014.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I have a small flock of 9 hens. One of them lives in the house. The one in the house did not lay an egg today, but I got 9 eggs.

I have two hens that lay white eggs (Leghorns) but I got three white eggs today. Is it possible for chickens to lay more than one egg in a day? I could have sworn that I collected every single egg from yesterday, but maybe I was wrong?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is possible, yes, and some hens, though it's very rare, will do it on a regular basis. My grandparents on my mother's side had a hen that laid an egg in the morning and another in the late afternoon, day after day. And she laid them on my grandparents' bed!

3. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Wow! I didn't even know that was possible! Now I'm wondering which one of my Leghorns is the one that did it. [​IMG]

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Yes sometimes they will lay 2 in a day. I got 2 in a day a couple days ago!

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    They say" an egg approximately every 24 hours. Period.
    But I have 2 old hens that occasionally lay 2 eggs a day. They do this in the spring when they first start laying again after the winter slowdown. The hen will only do it 3 or 4 times in the first month as she resumes normal production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by