Is it possible for a hen to never lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2dogs1cat, Aug 11, 2010.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Waiting on my Blue Andalusian to lay her first egg. Descriptions of the bird say they are early layers. Well, all the other hens have laid at least once. Is it possible for a hen to never lay?

I'm beginning to think I have a roo in hen's "clothing"....

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    All chickens are individuals, never rely on breed descriptions. If she is the right age to lay, then you would have noticed crowing and male sex feathers on the hackles. Be patient! So many people here freak out about their hens beginning late, it's been hot and each hen develops at her own pace. Hang in there, she may have already layed and you just missed it, unless you watch them all day every minute. [​IMG]

3. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Or she's found some secret hiding spot *lol*

First to develop, noisiest of the bunch, most aggressive of the bunch, she's interesting.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Secretive laying is quite common.

VERY occasionally a hen will have a failure of her ovaries to develop properly or had an infection of the ovaries to cause them to fail. She will usually look and behave much more like a rooster, be aggressive and not lay eggs. Of course she will never become a functioning boy.

watch her when she leaves the coop in the morning....you may find a very large pile of rotting eggs somewhere.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by