Is it possible for an egg in an eggbound hen to move back in?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by offdagridsoon, May 12, 2010.

1. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi all,

we are pretty sure one of our hens is eggbound (this is our first experience with this). Since yesterday she's been trying to get an egg out (straining) but has still been eating, drinking and pooping, and is also quite alert and mobile. We did some gloved exploration inside her vent yesterday a few times, to try and get some water-based lubricant in there to help, and the egg was right inside the vent area....as in my finger would be in, not even to the first knuckle, and I could feel the egg. We also massaged her abdomen and gave her two warm water baths last night. Still no egg, although she is giving every indication that she may not choose to go live out in the coop after this (she's been sequestered in the bathroom)! lol A few minutes ago, though, we checked her internally to see where the egg was, and to try and get yet more lube in there, and the egg is nowhere near her vent. [​IMG]: It seems to have moved further inside of her again. I could vaguely feel it, though it was through some other tissue (or so it felt). Has anyone experienced this? Is this an indication of something?

Thanks for any advice....we don't want to leave her with an egg stuck in her, but we are at a bit of a loss as to what to do now...

Cindi and Matt

2. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    She could be an internal layer. You'll have to search for more info on that. We're going through something similar here with one of ours.

3. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Turned out she was eggbound, and after a few warm baths, some yogourt and lots of massaging, she wound up passing the egg. The shell on it was a little gritty feeling at some spots, so this was likely keeping it from passing easily. She seemed to recover fully from it but, sadly, my husband opened the coop this morning to find both of our hens dead on the floor of the coop. No markings on either of them, and absolutely no idea as to what happened. sigh..

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Oh, no! [​IMG] How sad! I wish I had some idea to offer, but I can't imagine....

[​IMG]

5. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    Oh dear, I'm so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by