1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Is it possible for this chick to survive?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsmaonaigh, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I have a set of 4 chicks that are about 5-6 days old. I got up this morning and one of the chicks was laying down and not moving. It isn't dead but it is definitely not well. If I pick it up it will give some weak peeps and open its eyes but then resumes laying down and closing its eyes. I checked its butt for pasty butt but it looks clean. Is it possible for it to survive? I don't want to prolong its suffering if it is just going to die. I don't WANT to cull it but I will. Thoughts? And if I do need to cull it what is the best and quickest way? Thanks.

2. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Try alittle sugar water or karo syrup in water from a dropper, maybe he hasnt't been eating and is weak.....sounds like he isn't going to make it but it's worth a try....I know people say try the kid poly vitamins without iron, but just try the other first , sounds like he needs help asap

3. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    He is already cold to the touch. I'm trying to work up the courage for this.

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    If you have time, wrap it in a blanket and sit with it cuddled up against you, it will feel your body warmth. Also, sugar water or similar.

5. Mozelly

Mozelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Gatorade works too.I mix some in the water. I saved one silkie chick. It was too weak to walk and I had to put it by the waterer and feed. It would it eat and drink real good,just couldn't walk well. Kept falling over. It took a week or so ,but got strong enough to walk good . The key here is, it would eat and drink, most won't.

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I no expert but, I would try and use a eye dropper or the like and get some raw beaten egg into it. It will get some protine into it and may bring it back. Baby chicks need to be kept warm for the first couple of weeks. You could put it on a heating pad. Also try to get some water with Tetracycline Hydrochloride into it. When I got my chicks I was told to add a small amount of the powder into their water - it's a antibiotic that helps prevents sickness on stressed chicks. Good Luck. [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Sounds like it is a case of failure to thrive. Sad to say it probably won't make it much longer especially with not being able to regulate its body temperature.

8. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Its done. There was no way this chick was going to make it so I got it over with. This is the one part that sucks about raising chickens. At least it is over with now.

9. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Also, I used it as a lesson in life and death for my 4 year old. She watched me cut the chick's head off and as I'm sitting there trying to build courage she asks "Mommy, are we going to eat it?". LOL! That's my girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by