Is it possible I have a sterile rooster?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jun 4, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I'm working on my 2nd hatch. First was 100% dud. I have 2 sets of hens/roosters, each in their own cages. My broody hen hatched a chick so I know those 2 are OK, but I just candled eggs on day 8 from the other set and I can't find one good egg.

Wondering if my other rooster is a dud?

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they, what type of rooster..RIR , orps ect..

You could try rooster booster.....also check for mites/bugs on the vent area...

Charlie

3. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    He should change to boxers, not breifs!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. bearz

May 20, 2008
    Quote:Rooster and Hen both 1 year old. First summer laying. Redish brown chickens...I have no idea...inherited from my motherinlaw when she died of cancer and never told me what they were. I'm just lucky I can tell a hen from a rooster! LOL

5. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    Our previous rooster was infertile or almost infertile. Of two full incubators and three tries of my broody hens I had 1 chicken that died a few hours after hatch.

My current rooster is defenitely fertile with 11 hatching chicks out of 13 fertile in my latest hatch. All eggs from one hen was dud's though.

I don't think she is infertile but she doesn't like the rooster and even if he try to do his job most of his sperm ends up on her back in stead of in the correct area.

I also have to cut the duns and feathers around the genitals on my standard cochins. If I didn't there wouldn't be any fertilized eggs at all.

Observe them a bit and see if they get it right. You might need to help nature a bit.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your hen is very fluffy in the vent area you may need to turn up her rear end and do a nice trim so that your rooster can do his job. Too much fluff can get in the way and cause what appears to be an infertility problem.

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Have you ever cracked one of the eggs and seen the "bullseye" that tells you the egg is fertile? There is a great post with pictures that shows what it looks like. You could use the Search function to find it. Search fertile egg, and the Author was Speckledhen.

8. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    Quote:[​IMG]

That was clever!! Making me giggle this morning. Thanks!

9. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Does he smoke?

10. bearz

May 20, 2008
    Quote:Oh joy. I'm SO looking forward to explaining the need for this to my 8 yr old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by