1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it possible or am I dreaming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by denco5, Feb 5, 2011.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I purchased 15 hens 20 weeks ago from the local feed store, 5 turned out to be roosters. So far they have all gotten along fairly well. I do see a few more scuffles between the roosters and a few times the hens will be chased down and pecked by the roosters.

Is it possible that they all can get along forever or am I being way to hopeful? I know the ratio is off but has anyone had this few hens with this many roosters and made it work? They do have a 30 x 30 run but do not free range.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ten hens to five roosters? I think you are dreaming.[​IMG] Even if the roosters continue to get along (not likely), it is very likely that they will physically injure the hens by gang breeding them.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Put the roos in their own pen away from the females if you want to keep that many, IMO.

Some do this- and then have a breeding pen for when they want chicks.

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Lets look at this a different way. We'll pretend for a second that we have a crystal ball and everything is going to work out splendidly with your current flock as exactly as it is. The roosters will be best of buds, share hens happily and never over breed. It will be chicken utopia. Even so, WHY would you want to feed 4 birds 365 days a year that are -- essentially -- worthless? They will never lay eggs, one can do the job of five as far as fertility goes... why would you feed, provide bedding, clean up after, etc 4 birds that give nothing back? And since utopia is highly unlikely will probably actually cause problems.

5. denco5

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Yes I do agree that the best solution is to slim the roosters to at least two if not one. I purchased them as pets and nothing more so that is why I have the hope it would all work out. I can see that in the long run the right thing to do is find a new home for a couple roosters.

Thanks everyone

6. denco5

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Would there be any benefit to selecting the Alpha rooster to stay or does it not matter?

I have decided to keep only one rooster so that will give me the 10-1 ratio that I hear is acceptable.

I am guessing the flock will adjust to the rooster that stays and accept him as the new leader? Would it be possible that a hen could be stronger than the rooster I select to stay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by