Is it possible that a peacock could have genetically bad legs?

SuperPeacockman

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have a male peacock who developed a limp this summer. The limp seemed to correct itself but it came ack in November. His legs look fine so I suspect the problem is in his hips. It seems like something turned his hips like 30 degrees in one direction. This causes his train to slump off to that side. At first we attributed it to a minor leg problem he had when he was a chick (him and his sister were our first peafowl, we did not know gamebird feed was bad for them at the time. His sister got a slip tendon and was put down, he got a slight limp that went away after were put him on lower protein food). But I am not really sure. I was wondering what else could cause such a problem. I was also wondering if it could be genetic because one yearling peahen that could be his daughter (I am not sure we don't keep breeding records) has a leg problem. In her problem it seems like her legs are shorter that her flock mates but I am pretty sure she just constantly has the leg joint bent more than the other birds. I was wondering if the leg problem could be genetic, and if he should be removed from the breeding flock or if anyone had solutions to either of the two problems described.

I had trouble with my peafowl limping a year ago, and couldn't figure out what it was. It seemed like it was only affecting one leg in each bird, but the majority of my birds had it. It turned out to be gout from too much protein. I was feeding them cat food as treats, and was obviously giving them too much. I decreased the amount and the limping went away.

I had not thought of gout but they definitely don't have too high protein as my dad bought cracked corn for them because he forgot I told him corn was no good (next time we buy feed we will get the right stuff).

Was it a defect at hatching.....If so it could be, only way to know on genetic is if he pass it to his off spring.

My guess it could been a injury , even a bad landing from a high roost.

Stacir is correct to high protein (over 24) will cause leg problem like gout.

Back
Top Bottom