1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it possible that my new Brinsea's humidity gauge is off?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mmmaddie13, May 12, 2011.

1. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm on day 22 now with no action coming from the eggs. During the whole hatch I had the temp set at 99.6-99.7, with relative humidity at 45% with just that telling me the temp (I assume it would be correct).
    Well I decided to just put in the thermo/hygrometer that I used with my last hatch just to check. It says 90% humidity! I don't know what to do. I'm hoping it's just in shock of going from dry and chilly to hot and humid. But if that's what's going on, then my eggs have been under probably 60% humidity during the first 18 days. [​IMG] I don't know what to do...

Edited to add: I'm going back to school and I'll be back in a few hours, will let you know what I see when I get back.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Okay... Temp and humidity gauges on the BRINSEA read 99.6, 75%. Temp and humidity on the thermo/hygrometer read 96.8 and 80%.
    All hope isn't lost, is it? [​IMG]

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    If your humidity was truly that high from day 1 then I doubt any will hatch because they will have drowned. If it was only that high since lockdown you might still be ok. If you don't have any pips open it up and candle one and see what your aircell looks like.

4. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm guessing the humidity was about 50-55% for the incubation period. I have adjusted the temp/humidity just a little bit, hoping that'll help. With the actual temperature being lower than planned I'm hoping they're just developing a little slower. I'm not going to give up on these babies yet, though...

5. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    No if your temp was low they will develop and hatch slower. Don't give up yet. Like I said if you have no pips then pull the lid off and candle one or two quick and see if you see good aircells and movement!! Good luck.

6. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I will try that tonight. Thank you.

7. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Let us know what you find!

8. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Well, good news. I'm not candling because I've got a zipper! I didn't even know the little one pipped until I was getting ready for bed and heard a high pitched peeping coming from the bator! I looked and BOOM, there's a zip halfway around the egg! Speedy little sucker! [​IMG]

9. cackydoodledoo

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Yay!!!! [​IMG]

Ok now we will need pics of the babies!

ETA Just noticed that you are from Colorado. I am from Pueblo West!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  10. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Oh I will post pictures, don't worry! [​IMG]

Cool! I always love meeting fellow Coloradans. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by