Is it possible that this is a blue and not a dirty white? *pics*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CheekyMare, Nov 8, 2011.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Because next to a white chicken it doesn't really look white. Are there paler shades of blue? It looks like a splash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:there washed out splash looks like there realy dirty need a bath

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Either they're seriously sunbleached splashes, dirty splashes, or dominant white with black leakage.

4. CheekyMare

Definitely dirty, but bathing doesn't seem to do a bit of good. It's always been a little scrawny. Just did a panacur deworming this week and noticed an almost immediate pinkening of the comb and around the eyes plus an increase in activity and vigour. I don't believe in bathing unless they're greasy or something so I'll wait till a molt or do a bath after dry season starts. The cold season(in the 50s and wet) is just arriving and it's going to need all its protection to stay warm. I did give it a bath two weeks ago, but cold season is too close now.

Just before bathing

[​IMG]

Here is freshly bathed

[​IMG]

this is as clean as it gets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's gotten in a lot more feather since then though. I don't remember any black on it at all when I first brought it home. Is it a hen? I call s/him Scruffy

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks to be a Splash

6. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Maybe a version of khaki/Opal?

7. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Looks to be splash to me as well. Sometimes my white, splash and buff birds get so dirty that I swear they are different colors [​IMG] They are very neat looking birds, dirty or clean!

8. CheekyMare

Well I've been working on getting this one more handleable. It's been learning to sit on my knee for lettuce treats. This one and the two polish seem to like bathing in the swill pans as opposed to eating from them.

The polish are white with brown crests.[​IMG] (and they are splash for sure) Splash seems to be predominant in this flock currently. I'm really hoping to see a couple blue babies, but one of the other roosters is going to have to help out.

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I agree.. with some ground color leakage..

Quote:Khaki is homozygous Dun(I^D/I^D) it gives you a different type of Splash...

Opal is a recessive allele of recessive white.

10. CheekyMare

Y'all are making me so darn curious I'm about to take the darn chicken over to one of the hotel rooms to bathe so I can blow dry it.

I understand ground colour leakage. What do you think the ground colour is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by