Is it possible this is a bantam RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Smartie_Pants, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    On April 3rd, I was given a chick. My stupid cousin was giving them away at an Easter Egg Hunt. [​IMG] She bought them from the feed store, and when I posted some pics you guys said she was an RIR. Now she's four months old, and still pretty small. My white silkie hen hatched 4 babies of her own the next day, and they came from my EE roo. Two became standard size, and two are bantam. The regular size chickens are bigger than her. Its hard to see in this pic since there is nothing to compare her too, but she is barely taller/bigger than the silkie is! Is she just a slow grower, or could she be a bantam? I've never had RIR's, but the other breeds I have had were usually bigger by this time.

[​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    What ever she is, she's gorgeous!!!

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    she is a RIR red hen and its not a bantam

4. pattypenny

pattypenny Songster

Sep 27, 2007
    I have RIR bantams and they are much darker red than yours hen .

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    there is not a direct link between color and size, your RIR show darker color because they come from a different breeding lines

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Not a RIR.. Mabe a Production red...
    Chris

7. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    That's what I pointed out before, she's lighter than I thought RIR's were supposed to be. She's more the color of the Golden Comets I had before, So I would agree that's she's a sexlink. I guess she's just a slower grower than the BR's and other's' I've had.

8. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't think she's necessarily a sex-link, but I do think she's a production red. That's what the hatcheries sell as Rhode Island Reds...

Or could she be a NHR?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: