Is it possible this is a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shayzoo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Shayzoo

Shayzoo New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    So here's my quandary, I got these (supposedly) Cream Legbar chicks from a lady on Craigslist. I also have 2 a week younger that I KNOW are Cream Legbar chicks. They don't look exactly the same, but I imagine there is some small variation on a theme within a breed. She did however say when I picked them up, " I THINK these are the CLs, I'm pretty sure", but they were already 2 weeks old by that point, and she apparently had another breed, that looked somewhat similar at that age. So here's why I think it may be the wrong breed.

Cream Legbars are auto-sexing, meaning that in every generation, the boys can be picked out from the girls, as day old chicks, because of a spot on their heads. So if these are CLs, they should have both been pullets-no spot. But now it's two weeks later, and I'd swear one is a Roo. It's always right in front of the rest of my chicks, always watching me while the rest flutter about and play, and scratch. It does NOT like to be picked up. It's the only one that doesn't, and then there are the physical issues....

I'm going to show the pictures of the two "pullets" I got from her. They were hatched the same day, looked the same, and were roughly the same size when I got them. Now one is bigger, and carries itself much more erect.

[​IMG]

Then there are the legs. It's hard to tell because of the non-matching orientation of the photos, and I was apparently holding the roo farther away, but the roo(?) has much thicker sturdier legs.The first photos are the one I think is a pullet, the next, the Roo.
    Pullet

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then theres the coloring. He's also getting much lighter through the head, neck and breast, and see how puffed up it is. And, It's not an impacted crop. That's just the way he (I think) is growing.

[​IMG]

Then of course, there's the combs....well, you see for yourself. Keep in mind, they are only 4 weeks old.

pullet roo

[​IMG][​IMG]

So here's the question, is it... a) the wrong breed, and a roo, b) The right breed, but a roo that somehow didn't have the right head markings (doesn't seem possible), or c) is there any chance it's an overdeveloped CL pullet?, I'm leaning toward A, but I am new to chickens, and would love the opinion of someone with more experience. There's also the possibility that they're both the wrong breed, and I should take them back. In either case, I can't keep a roo, They're not allowed where I live.

2. Def. a male. Not sure about the breed things, but it def. is a roo

3. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a rooster.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    For sure a boy. Coloring looks close, time will tell. Hopefully they'll grow a crest to further indicate their breed. Not sure how long the white spot stays on the head. Some will have a crest, some won't.

I'm getting some of these in the Spring, so excited!

5. Shayzoo

Shayzoo New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks guys. I thought so. I am new to this but I'm one of those people who researches new things obsessively and I was 99% sure it was a roo. The other question is is it even a CL? The colors are close-ish. I'm not sure how much and what kind of variation is acceptable. That's where experience comes in handy. The other two are Greenfire stock and have all the right coloring with the salmon breast feathers already coming in and the beginnings of little crests starting to stick up. These two do not really have any salmon on the breast even thought they're older. But the pullet does have a crest forming. So maybe she is a Cream Legbar, but just not as well bred. I'll wait and see with her but he's going back ASAP unless I can find someone nearby who'd like to trade him strait across for a pullet. I cannot have a Roo. He's very Cock-y already. He has a strong protective instinct. He always moves right to the front and looks me right in the eye when I go out to handle them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by