Is it possible to fix a broken leg after several months?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Diamante, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Diamante

Diamante Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    I have a roo that had his leg broken by a raccoon several months ago, we were all to scared to pop it back in place when it happened. But now id like to get it fixed by a vet if i could find one to help. I dont know if it can be fixed so i need opinions. Its up next to his body cause thats the way it healed from him laying around after he was attacked. But his toes and foot can move which is below where its broke, so i was thinking if we can get the leg back in the right place he would be able to walk again with both legs and be cured. I dont know much about injuries so thats why i desided to ask. I would love to show him, hes a mille fluer and hes getting prettier as he gets older and i cant show a chicken with a broken leg plus hes a little skinny which might be from him only getting to use one leg to walk around, and he just looks a litlle unhappy sometimes. thanks for any replies.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, but I would think it expensive. Is there a possibility it was just dislocated? That could be fixed more easily.

3. Diamante

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    well im not sure. since it happend in the middle of the night i didnt bother him to much to find out and he doesnt like being caught so we didnt really wanna bother him much.

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure it could be improved if not fixed entirely if a vet can x-ray it. I have a D'uccle with a leg problem that I am planning on taking to a vet when I have enough money saved up. Look for a vet that is either certified avian vet or has avian certification. You can check with your local parrot/bird clubs to see who they take thier birds to.

5. Diamante

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    I think they have an avian vet at the place i took my guinea pig to. I'll have to look into it.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by