Is it possible to get bantam from normal eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FoodKillah, May 3, 2011.

1. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Why i ask, i incubated 3 eggs for first time and hatched one healthy chick on 14th of February, after 1 month i bought 2 chicks from the feed store that where similar size to my bird, so they can all hang out together.

Now they have outgrow my chick and they look HUGE compared to mine. My chick is almost the same size as back then. Very small.

In the feed store i told them i didnt want the meatbirds they had, however their feet were very big and caught my attention from the start. The problem is that i can introduce those two to my flock but my chick is still VERY young for the trouble. If there is a chance for it to stay like this for ever i will put it in a cage and keep it as a seperate pet

Chick is columbian leghorn X PR but is pure white

Any answers? Is my chick bantam? dwarf? sick? or is this normal and leghorns grow slow. How can the chicks i bought grow so fast? They look like little hens in size but they have the style of a chick.

Any thoughts?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    If I have it straight you have 1 leghorn cross about 10 weeks old and 2 TSC surprises. that are 6 weeks old.

The TSC surprises if meat birds would by this time be bigger than your chick they are likely in the 4-5 lb range the other is likely hatch out closer to 1.5 to 2lb. And very likely it is getting severly out competed for food. Your hatched chick should be pretty much full sized by 16 weeks. The broilers if they lived that long would be monsters well over 10 lb.

One picture of the chicks would tell, but if the TSC chicks have honking big yellow feet and are growing like crazy they are likely X rock broilers. They should be ready for butchering in the next couple weeks and often have health issues if kept longer.

Just make sure the little one is able to get enough to eat as the big ones are pigs.

3. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I just looked at your journal and it looks like you bought meat birds to raise and lay, that probably wasn't the best idea since they weren't bred for that purpose. At their current age they will be larger than your other chick and continue to outgrow it.

4. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Quote:In my journal i mention i want meatbirds but i didnt buy the meatbirds they had in another cage. Now i will not be surprised if all the birds they had there were meatbirds.

This photo was taken the first day i bought the chicks. I dont know the exact age of the chicks i bought but at the time, they were similar size, if you see them now, the bought chicks are monsters.

As Clay Valley Farmer mentioned they eat so much more than the white chick. Most of the time they are above the feeder, eating. The white chick does not.
    [​IMG]

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Well they don't look at all like cornish rock broilers.

Maybe red broillers of some sort which would be better as far as life expectancy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by