Is it possible - to get my duck to quit laying eggs daily?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ellieuki, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ellieuki

ellieuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Insane question, I know - I'm new to the duck game. Everything I've read says allowing ducks to lay daily will shorten their life span. Is that true? I've given her free access to oyster shells, an array of mixed organic green, and quality duck feed. The ducks are spoiled rotten, but as a woman, I can't imagine what her little duck body must go through every day. So is it possible to get her to stop laying?
    She is a crested white - the most neurotic duck breed ever ;).

Thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is a big question, and I think you are wonderful for asking it.

Here is the little I know. I know someone who has been raising ducks for several years. In her experience - and it is mostly but not exclusively Pekins - they live about 8 years or so. That is with no egg suppression.

The average duck age is 3 to 4 years according to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and that, they write, is largely due to predator attack.

Keeping a duck from laying involves keeping her in the dark. Then she would likely go broody for a while (this happened at our place last year after an oviduct prolapse). But eventually, the duck would return to laying, I would think.

(more in a few . . . okay, I'm back)

So, my feeling is, give her the best nutrition you can manage, help her avoid other stresses such as extreme heat and cold, or insecure shelter, isolation, conflict, and I feel she has a good chance of doing fine.

It is true that egg laying is risky. I have lost two of my sixteen total since 2010 to egg yolk peritonitis, and one to unknown disease. Sechs had a prolapse last year and that is life-threatening.

There are implants now, hormonal implants that can keep a duck from laying, if I recall correctly. I don't know what the statistics are for life expectancy for ducks that have that.

That's what I know, think and feel at this point.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. decomposed

decomposed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    My girls seem to stop laying when i keep taking the eggs. I let them have a pile of eggs and then i take them all and they stop laying for ages.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ducks are seasonal layers so they do take a break... personally, the best way to reduce the risk if that is an area of concern is to avoid high output layers... those are likely at higher risk to egg problems and concern related to higher output.

Otherwise, as Amiga said, good food, stable environment etc. I do not light my birds, to me that messes with a break that is needed by the birds.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Wow I never knew how many problems female ducks could develop because of egg laying. I have an all drake flock and at first I regreted ordering straight run (they all turned out to be boys). I really had wanted some fresh eggs every day but that was before I actually got ducks, but now I am starting to become thankful for an all drake flock. I could not bare to lose any ducks because of all these egg problems on top of predators. I never knew how much personality ducks could have and how much you could become attached to them.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

Aren't ducks among the greatest blessings??

7. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    They certainly are :) I would not give mine up for anything.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't think everyone has problems, and honestly drakes come with their own set of issues. Having animals is super rewarding but the downside is dealing with loss, i prefer my females lol my drakes are fine but if i had not gotten a SR when i first began, i wouldn't own any. I actually cleared out of all my extras the year before but kept the boys with the exception of one from my last years hatch for winter warmers.. we'll see how the spring goes...

Maybe cutting back!

9. ellieuki

ellieuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    .. I didn't know she was going to be a heavy layer - I rescued these guys so they melted right into my heart, little turds. Ugh, yesterday she laid nearly a 4 ounce egg with double yolk, so I've been a bit nervous. This am, her egg was 2.7 ounces and normal. I've given her free choice to oyster shell, grit, and offered her own egg back to her (boiled it and grinded it up in a coffee grinder). This morning, I headed off to the weekend county market and bought her all fresh organic greens, so she spoiled to a T!
    Let me ask you all this, I REALLY need to get another hen soon - Will I need to purchase another coop to look that duck in at night until they all get used to each other? Should I get two hens? How long will it take until they all can sleep together?
    Thanks! Super new to the Duck Mom world!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What breed is she? some things to consider, most important, don't let them get over weight, I was reading that hen[chickens] that lay double yolkers are mostly over weight. how true I don't know but I'd say an over weight duck is going to have laying problems, so giving greens as treats is awesome, no junk food. Mom. Exercise like swimming is great for keeping those laying muscles toned. Other than that not much we can do to keep them from laying I have 2 ducks going on 10ys this coming July and both have gone through Duck menopause because for the last 2-3 yrs haven't laid an egg. and are still very healthy. All of mine could quit laying and wouldn't bother me a bit I always worry about them. How many ducks do you have now just this one/ how many drakes? when introducing new ducks it needs to be done slowly, separate areas next to each other so they can meet through fencing for at least a week maybe sooner but you'll have to be the judge, they will still have to work out a pecking order but it's not near as intense as the pecking order of chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by