Is it possible to get my goat to stop charging my dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by HappyHenFarm78, Feb 4, 2014.

1. HappyHenFarm78

HappyHenFarm78 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    I have 3 dogs, very sweet and calm around my chickens and goats- then I got stuck fostering a pain in the butt black lab pup that has harassed the goats by biting at their heads and chasing them- I know do my best to keep him completely away from them. He only did it a few times- But, now my goats will see my nice dogs and make a full on charge from across the yard at them. One is 85# and the other is 110+ so they are not small goats. They have sent them sailing with a yelp. I had my mellowest dog on a leash and brought the Alpine goat over to him and held the goat collar tight while I pet my dog and let him onto my lap. My dog was terrified as I coaxed the goat to sniff him- but every time I coaxed the goat close she'd try to butt and bite. I wasn't sure what to do so attempted to reprimand the goat with a NO! BAD and a tap on the snout but she seems like she would just as soon stomp my dog to death if she could be alone w/ him. Frustrated, I put the goats in their pallet fence and of course they got out 5 minutes later. I locked them in the barn and they started making noises that sounded like they were being murdered.

I have 1 fenced in acre with a gate across our driveway. Everyone has always free ranged. I am afraid that I won't be able to have the goats out with the dogs anymore and am very upset by this. I really don't want to fence my goats in as they will just eat the vegetation bare, make noise and become escape artists.... I'm really upset that the foster dog screwed up the equilibrium.

Is it possible to teach the goats to trust my dogs again- and how do I do this!!?? Has anyone had luck with this?

Thanks for any helpful advice. I only have 1 acre and I really can't go dividing it up with more fences....

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Oh man that's tough. Has this kind of recently happened? Maybe your goats just need some time to realize your good dogs won't bother them. Hope everything works out for you.

3. HappyHenFarm78

HappyHenFarm78 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    me too, I have had the foster dog 3 months, with any luck he will be going to a new home this weekend. But my dogs are now terrified to go out and come in because the goats are very friendly so stand up by our house a lot. if they hear the door open to let the dogs out the goats come running thinking we are coming out to give them grain- in which case the dogs freak out as they see the goats coming. There are 3 dogs, one is 25#, the other two are almost 50#...but they sometimes get stuck out in the yard and wont come to the house if the goats are by our porch.

I'm really hoping with time the goats will chill out, but they really wacked my shy dog a good one and he is terrified of them now- we used to take the dogs and goats on leash walks together down the street... :(

Looks like I will be putting more fences up and hoping over time the goats will realize that the black lab is GONE and my dogs aren't threatening.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by