is it possible to have the humidity too high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thegibbys, Apr 17, 2011.

1. thegibbys

thegibbys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    had 25 good eggs on day 19, took out of the turner and put them on lockdown. today is day 21, 3 chicks have hatched out. My concern is that the humidity hit 85-90% so I took the window out for a minute and oh my it stinks in there. is this the mixture of the open eggs and the heat/humidity, is it too humid? the temp is at about 99-100.5. that has stayed very constant.

the chicks seem happy and such, but worried about smell? and humidity?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sounds like you have some rotten eggs in there. I'm guessing that you candled them at some time since you said they were good.

3. thegibbys

Apr 17, 2011
    now we have 4!!! I guess everything is good, several more have pipped?!?!? [​IMG]: jumpy someone still post reply, I am so nervous......

4. Hornetkc5

Hornetkc5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Oakwood
    Im on day 21 and nothing [​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If your humidity stays that high for a long time water starts collecting everywhere which is bad for a chick trying to hatch. I dont really think it being that high for a while hurts much but it is best to keep it under 80%. The smell may have something to do with the humidity.

6. thegibbys

Apr 17, 2011
    yes we candled on day 19, 25 with good movement, 2 that were were questionable. how do I know if they are rotten? open it up and smell them or leave it alone.

so are you saying the humidity is fine? we are using still air for lockdown, to make sure they dont dry out while pipping. what do I do now?

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would drop the humidity under 80% an leave it be. Even if one egg is starting to go bad it wont have time to cause an issue before the hatch is done.

8. thegibbys

Apr 17, 2011
    thank you so much!! number 6 is almost out! I will keep the humidity at 80% and leave them be. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by