1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it possible to lay 2 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by h8snags, Jul 19, 2011.

1. h8snags

h8snags Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    My Sexlink is the first to lay, today was day 4. She has been laying between 8 and 10 in the morning, but this morning I let them out into their run at 6:30 am, and there was an egg in the box. As of 3:30 she was back in the nesting box laying another egg! Is it possible for her to lay two eggs in one day? Or do I have another girl starting to lay?
    Thanks so much for your help!!!

2. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    She laid a beautiful egg, it was a little darker than the other, so I am thinking I have a new egg layer! Yaay!

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    It is possible. I have a Barred Rock who has laid 2 eggs in a day. Not often, but a few times.

I got 2 eggs, I think, today, from her sister. But it is a worry. I believe the first one was stuck in her oviduct. She tried to lay yesterday a few times and was unsuccessful. But when I went to let them out of their coop at 6:00 a.m. this morning there was an egg in the nesting box-- an odd one, with a chalky ring on one side and discoloration on the end. Intact, not soft.

Then at about 2 she was on the nest again and I got another egg. This one had no chalky ring, but it did have an area of discoloration on one side.

I am worried she might have Egg Yolk Peritonitis. She didn't have the suffering symptoms of Egg Binding, that I could see, and she is out and about this afternoon and even ran. However, she's panting hard (it is somewhat hot). I suspect she may have an underlying disease, due to the panting symptom. Her sister doesn't pant as much. I hope I haven't overfed her. Fat chickens tend to have these kinds of troubles laying eggs. That's why I took her off scratch in the spring. She has pecked out a bunch of her breast feathers, which could signify Fatty Liver Disease.

So many maladies to worry about. She had black spots on her comb recently which is a sign of Fatty Hemorrhagic Liver Disease, but they finally went away. I thought maybe it was because I let her out to free-range for more exercise and greens in her diet. But now this stuck egg is a new worry...

Good luck with your chicken. She sounds very special.

4. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    Thank you, she is very special! She has been laying 2 eggs in 20 hours the last few days, I still don't have any other eggs from my Orps, today will be the test. If there are more than two by this afternoon, then I really do have another laying! I watch them all day long, count them all day long to see if any are missing, and still haven't seen an Orpington go in the house yet, only Faith. This morning I found a soft shelled egg on the ground under the perch, so I'm going to get some oyster shells today... she's one egg laying machine!!
    Sorry to hear about your chicken, hope she gets better soon! She is lucky to have someone care so much about her! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by