Is it possible to OD my ducklings on Brewers Yeast?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lunyre, Feb 1, 2014.

1. lunyre

lunyre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Ive been mixing it in with their water and food for days now and ive already seen a big difference in their energy levels, and the strength of their legs. coupled with exercise it seems to be a wonderful solution to the former problems they had... but im wondering if its bad for them at the same time? i mix in about a tablespoon of the yeast altogether, 3/4 of it in the food the rest in the water. its serving 3 ducklings altogether, per day. is this bad? (also note it takes them a few days to get through all the food in their dish)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i dont think it would be bad for them i have always herd of giving them sugar to the water never done it befor but i dont like to give duckling or duck any thing in there water or food

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Generally speaking, I have read that people give "a sprinkling" of brewer's yeast on food.

According to the label, Solgar b.y. contains 2.5 mg of niacin per 2 tablespoons of yeast.

Storey's Guide says to use 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water.

The missing piece for me is how much water do they actually drink?

Making some guesses, let's say a duckling actually drinks a half a cup of water a day. That would provide .03125 gallons of water.

If there were 100 mg of niacin in that gallon of water, if my arithmetic is right, that would be 3 mg of niacin.

Based on all that, if my guess is right about how much water the duckling drinks, then a tablespoon of yeast split between three ducklings does not sound like too much niacin.

4. lunyre

lunyre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Alright yeah that makes sense. I figured it wouldn't be bad for them I just wanted to make sure they were getting what they need :) they're growing so fast too!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Also, I think B vitamins are water-soluble and what the body does not need, it lets go of easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by