Is it possible to sex SLW chicks this early????

leahkat

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2015
Independence, La
I have 3 silver Laced Wyandotte that are 2 1/2 weeks old. Looks like I finally lost my "all pullet streak"! The two darker ones with the reddish combs looked different from day one. What do yall think? 1 pullet two cockerels?
This is tonight at 2 1/2 weeks

One day old.
Should I rehome one or wait and see?

You sure have a pretty good nack for finding that. ;) I'd say those are definitely both boys. Sorry :( I feel bad about separating them like that, because they are all each other knows. I wanna tell you two things. Separate them when they are young so it will be less hard, but also wait and see to make sure your 100% they are both boys before you give them away. :barnie I feel so bad whenever I have to do that, I get so many Roos when I do my own hatchings, and I hate separating them like that. :hit

Last edited:
I looked at only the day old picture, now I can see they are roosters from the older picture, sorry. Edited to add one pullet of course.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm not sure what it looks like from y'all end but now that I am looking at the picture on my computer the combs do not look very red, but on my phone and in person they are VERY BRIGHT RED! I'm actually excited because I wanted at least ONE rooster out of the eleven I have bought. I just wish they were 2 pullet one roo

Yes that is true I didn't think about that I was just thinking about which one looked better haha. What should I look for in a good roo other than the obvious ( not mean)
that I would be able to tell which one was better to keep at a young age?

I would avoid a bold one, roosters that are a bit afraid will be more respectful, otherwise it's whoever looks better to you, at that young age.

Well you do want one that is a tiny aggressive, because he will protect the flock well. You look for that if the two Roos puff their neck feathers up at each other and look each other in the eyes like a staring competition. They also will kick each other in the eyes, but out of play. They do this as growing Roos. Nowthis can be your choice. When they do this usually one will ALWAYS be the first to back off, and the other will ALWAYS do a tiny peck at the other when it's over, to tell him he won, now the one who won will be a great protected to the flock, he can be intelligent too, but he will be aggressive towards you, and maybe sometimes the lady's and especially any other roosters you have if he's older than them. Then on the other hand the other one will be sweet, he'll still be a good protecter, and aggressive as being "an only roo", but if you have other Roos he'll be pecked on. I hope this makes sense. :)

Back
Top Bottom