Is it possible to tell gender of pheasant chicks?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Eme, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Eme

Eme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hi,
    I am curious if it is possible to tell the gender of the chicks? I have two of them.

Here are some pictures:

Baby 1

[​IMG]

Baby 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They may be too young right now, but does anybody know how I can be able to tell in the future?

Thanks!

2. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    I have good news for you and bad news for you. Yes it can be done with chicks this age, bad news is, i cant do it! I hope someone on here who can do it sees your post and helps you out. They are young but if i had to guess, and this is just a guess, id say Male, male and female. Again those are guesses but i have been raising pheasants for many years.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I always had to wait until 3 to 4 weeks. the cock will have small spur bumps.

4. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    What types of pheasants are they? That would help with the sex of the chicks.

5. Eme

Eme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hi, thank you all for responding. They are ring neck pheasant chicks. I am really new to this, so sorry for asking this, but what is a spur bump?

6. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    A spur, like on a rooster of a chicken, is located on the back of the leg and is used by the rooster for fighting. Since it is the males that have them, youll be able to see them developing on the chick's legs.

7. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I thought there was only two chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by