Is it possible to tell if these eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Pictures of two different eggs. I am wondering if it is possible to tell from these pictures if they are fertile. They come from a neighbor with a rir roo and a bunch of barred and white rock hens. I am trying to figure out if there are enough that are fertile that I can hatch them. They were out for a few hours before putting them in the refridgerator. Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Speckledhen,
    Just the person's advice I was hoping for. I had checked out that thread and thought they were fertile but wanted another, expert, opinion. They come from a flock with only one rir rooster I think and probably mid twenties in hens, with that many hens are they still likely to be fertile often? Thanks so much, I am getting really excited about incubating.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The first one is hard to tell but looks like it... I'm pretty sure the second one is......

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The 2nd one is def. fertile but the 1st I cant really tell.

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So I read through this post and that link and I'd like to ask ifthose of you who felt sure about either or both of these eggs wouldn't mind elaborating on what indicates to you that they are fertile.

This is fascinating, and this would help me immensely to understand.

Oh ptooey....sorry.. I just went back and looked more closely and NOW I can see the exploded blastoderm....Sorry....

Thanks
    Susan

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by