Is it possible to tell the difference between male and female chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by |Aphrodite|, Mar 16, 2018.

1. |Aphrodite|

|Aphrodite| In the Brooder

Dec 16, 2017
    We recently got 8 new chicks from coastal, and I got one the same breed as my beloved chicken, who has sadly died from a dog attack. I got three of that breed, and I want to name one after my hen, but I can’t tell the difference yet, so is there any way to tell the gender when chicks haven’t grown in their feathers yet?

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It depends. Some breeds, yes. Some chickens are crosses designed specifically so that you can tell their gender at hatch, called red sex links and black sex links. Some breeds are autosexing, like cream legbars, and you can also tell the genders apart at hatch. And some colors allow you to differentiate the males and females by certain markings, such as can be done in welsummers and barred rocks. What breed are your chicks?

3. |Aphrodite|

|Aphrodite| In the Brooder

Dec 16, 2017
    I got wyandotte bantams

4. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    By a month old they might be giving you hints (bigger, pinker combs on the boys who may also be sporting wattles by then) and by 6 weeks you should have a pretty good idea of who is who.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you will keep them till 8 weeks of age, I think someone here will be able to sex them for you.

6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    6 weeks, you should know. Any pinkish or red combs and wattles equals cockerel. At 12 weeks, you can confirm any thoughts, if you aren't sure. Males grow pointy hackle, saddle, and sickle feathers.

SuperMyke likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: