Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lunachick, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Whenever I turn into my driveway at the end of the day, I can hear my birds in the backyard squawking away - they don't do that til they hear my car - according to my daughter who is home during the day, they are quiet otherwise, til they hear my car enter the driveway and shut off the engine, I can here them - 3 chickens can make alot of noise, if they're spoiled enough and know I'm home. [​IMG]

So I go out to say "hello" and give them a warm treat and talk with them. They settle down and are fine. Do they know when I'm home by the sound of my car?

I had a cockatiel when we had a place we rented in Fla. which was on the 6th floor. I would go out from the outer island to the mainland to shop etc, and when I returned I had to call up to the apartment to get let in (security reasons) at the gate, and when I got into the apt my husband knew I was almost home by the cockatiel squawking frantically - he would look out the kitchen window, and my car would be pulling into the parking lot, six floors below, but that bird knew I was home.

I think our pets know us so well, that they listen and see everything we do (after all we are their food source) and know our sounds and voices to the point that they expect us at a certain times during the day and anticipate it.

I think that's sweet.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My husband says he knows when I am driving up the street because the geese sound off. They don't make a sound when he drives in LOL.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My roosters crow to announce us when we drive up after being away from the property, especially Suede.

4. dutchman

dutchman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    Lebanon TN
    Mine know when I get home, they are all lined up down the run ,making all kinds of noises. They know that I have a treat for them, I get all the veg scraps from a local resteraunt. If I walk up with out a plastic bag they look very unhappy. Our dogs are the same way.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We've always had a baby monitor in the coop. They whine and trill when one of us comes up the drive in the jeep. They don't make a sound when I'm in the old Sentra. They don't talk when one of our daughters drops by. The only other time we hear that particular trilling in unison is just before it starts to rain. I haven't a clue why they do that. Oh, this happens at night after they've roosted. During the day just the roo and toms announce ALL arrivals.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  6. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    When DH comes home, our two old hens run to the car drivng down the driveway to greet him. We lost one of them in Jan.so I will miss watching that , she was always the one to start it.

Monica

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have no idea about the driving up part but all 12 of my chickens start chattering when the sliding glass door opens and the dachshund runs out barking. They get very excited knowing I am right behind her and treats are probably in my hands!! They really are just like any other spoiled rotten pets!! [​IMG]

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Certainly is!

Slifer used to know what time that my DS was due home from school...One day he was late and she paced in front of the door making worried sounds until he came in...then she bit him! [​IMG]
    Like she was mad that he made her worry.

9. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have no idea about the driving up part but all 12 of my chickens start chattering when the sliding glass door opens and the dachshund runs out barking. They get very excited knowing I am right behind her and treats are probably in my hands!! They really are just like any other spoiled rotten pets

Same here, the door slides and they come running up to the fence, only difference I have a (black) Pug and he loves the birds and doesn't bark at them. He does jump them and hold them down if they get out. The funniest thing he holds them until I say OK then he let them go and I pick them up, and he is so gentle with them.

I have a hearding PUG!! [​IMG]

10. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Our chickens do the same thing way before I open the garage door in the morning I don't know if they hear the back door shut or what.

Oh and this morning I was awakened at 7 because Kramer (sexlink rooster) and a few hens were hanging out under the bedroom window. I think they wanted their breakfast early!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by