Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MOChickenz, Sep 19, 2010.

1. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    That one of my battery hens is BROODY? I mean, I doubt these gals have ever met a rooster. I hung out in the henhouse this morning for a while, just watching them do their thing...and one of them was in the corner nest all quiet for over an hour. I came back two hours later and she was still on the nest. I moved her and there were 4 eggs under her.

I'd figure that broodiness would be bred out of those.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It doesn't happen very often, but it can happen. That being said, with an ex bat (good for you taking her in!) I'd want to look her over really well and make sure she's not sick and/or hurt since they'll isolate themselves in the nest boxes when they don't feel well too. You'll know for sure that she's broody if she stays determined to set in the box, seems healthy otherwise and last but not least she starts leaving a huge stinking poo for you once every day or two--Broody poo is legendary and not in a good way! [​IMG]

3. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks, kitty.

I picked her up (much to her dismay) and she appears to be ok. Eyes bright, no respiratory symptoms, nothing swollen.

And when I brought the gals some hard boiled eggs and veggie scraps this evening, she was the only one not on a roost. She was in the nest box in the corner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by