Is it possible?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Justanother Brooke, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    I've posted a couple of times about my mystery chicken that we can't decide if it's a hen or a roo. Most people on here think definitely roo, but I have caught her/him a couple of times with my husband to help me, and we have looked at just about every feather on this bird [​IMG] and see absolutely NO pointy feathers anywhere. The hackle ( I think that's right) feathers on the neck look pointy because of the pattern, but are rounded, and all of the saddle feathers are rounded, as are the tail feathers.
    This chicken has a larger and redder comb and wattles than the other hens, but not as big as the two that are definitely roos. Also, he/she has some very shiny black feathers with that green iridescence, but those are scattered all over, not concentrated in any one area.
    He/she also walks more like the other two hens, not at all like the two roos.
    I am just SO confused, ha ha! Is it possible that she just is developing faster, and that's the reason for the comb and wattles being like they are?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Definetely, if you cannot see any saddle or hackle feathers. My light sussex fooled me for a while too because of her neck patterning. She is definetely a girl though [​IMG]

3. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    A profile shot and closeup of the tail would help but I say hen [​IMG]

ETA how old is this bird? The reddening could be age appropriate and maybe this is the cause of the confusion

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That bird is a cockerel. He has male patterning that a female would not get.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    sorry total rooster--I can tell from the saddle feathers hanging down on his back end:-(

8. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I have had plent of hens with that pattern! (i know they are hens...they lay eggs!)

9. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:x2

X3...Roo all the way.

10. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I think it's a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by