Is it possible???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennH07, Jul 13, 2011.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Is it possible for a 13 week old chick to lay an egg? I have 2 13 week old chicks, yesterday I found a tiny egg in their run. I let them out to roam with the big girls and sometimes the big girls will go into their run, and I just found out from my daughter, into their coop. I did find a large egg in the little chicks coop that I know was not layed by them, but this little egg has me wondering, I mean it was just laying on the ground, my big girls don't usually do that. I just don't know Who laid it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Those little eggs......most likely from your big laying girls........is often called a fart egg.

If you opened it, there would likely be no yolk, just whites.

My big girls lay them sometimes too. I think they are adorable and have a small collection of them [​IMG] someday I will make x-mas ornaments from them. [​IMG]

3. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    LMBO!!!!! I have never heard them called that!! That is hilarious!!!

Edited: My girls have been laying for about a year now and I have never gotten one of these "Fart Eggs" LOL

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Those tiny eggs are so cute! I think your big girls probably layed it. It's so tiny, maybe they didn't realize it........I've often heard them called "fart eggs" hehe

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Many times I think we people just do not see them.

They can be fragile, so if a hen steps on it - it would be cleaned up before our little eyes ever spied it [​IMG]

6. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    yum fart eggs and toast [​IMG]

7. cajunchic

cajunchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Also known a fairy eggs among people with more delicate sensibilities.

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That looks like a pullet egg to me. My new chicks just started laying and that is what they look like. You will know if it is a pullet egg soon enough becuse if it is there will be a few more of them to come and they will steadily get larger in size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by