is it possible

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickangel79, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    For two black orpingtons parents to have a white chick hatch ? If so, how? And why ?

And also I presume I shouldn't breed from this chick ?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Two black birds can carry a recessive white gene. Each parent will give one recessive white gene to a chick; one gene from the mother and another gene from the father. The chick has two recessive white genes- this produces a white chick.

Tim

3. Chickangel79

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Quote:Ok, thanks . What colour would its chicks be if I bred it to a black boy, presuming its a girl. And vice versa ?

4. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    They would look black, but would carry recessive white. It's not a sex linked gene so that would work for both possibilities of pairing recessive white male x black female or vice versa.
    But, if the black hen or rooster are carrying recessive white, you'd get not only black chicks but also white ones. And the resulting black chicks could either carry recessive white or not.
    Drawing a Punett square is really helpful in figuring out that kind of stuff [​IMG]

5. Chickangel79

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Svarthöna :

They would look black, but would carry recessive white. It's not a sex linked gene so that would work for both possibilities of pairing recessive white male x black female or vice versa.
    But, if the black hen or rooster are carrying recessive white, you'd get not only black chicks but also white ones. And the resulting black chicks could either carry recessive white or not.
    Drawing a Punett square is really helpful in figuring out that kind of stuff [​IMG]

Thank you [​IMG] ill have to look that square thing up lol, I read your post a few times but I think in pictures better so ill draw it up lol.
    Best not sell any of its chicks I breed out it then.

Eta, just had a quick look, think ill try and figure that out in the morning lol. Thank you​

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Chickangel79

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    This is my Large Fowl Black Orpington. LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Ok, thanks . What colour would its chicks be if I bred it to a black boy, presuming its a girl. And vice versa ?

black X black = your white chick

Your white chicken X black = black offspring as adults they will carry a recessive white gene

your white chick x black offspring = 1 in 2 will be white 1in 2 = black

black offspring X black offspring= 1 in 4 white 3 in 4 black

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by