1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WildThang, Nov 6, 2014.

1. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Is it possible for a duck female, to be breed multiple times. Without being able to produce a egg? I have two crested ducks, One male one female. That are separated from the rest of the flock, the male is delicate with the female. And has been mating with her for about two weeks. We have walked the yard, checked the duck house. Checked the Pen.. No eggs, not a single one! All our other ducks have been laying eggs for a month now maybe more.. Is it possible that she is unable to produce eggs?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Possi8ble, but it is more likely that she is just not ready to produce eggs. Understand that there is a lethal gene that will kill some of the ducklings from a crested X crested mating.

3. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yes i know, We will only use the eggs for cooking. Not hatching, and her Drake doesn't grab her crest while he mates her. It is actually a really awkward thing to witness. You just have to laugh at them. Cause he's so clumsy. Thank you for your fast responce. :Dddd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by