Is it possible?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Apocha14, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I had some chicks hatch today and their moms are delawares and the roo is a welsummer. They look EXACTLY like welsummer chicks! so my question is...like a welsummer chick...can they be sexed? Or is it not accurate because they aren't pure?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
  3. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    In this jpg...any male over any female makes sexlinks......or just in the groupings segregated?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Aart: The charts are broken down with the males on (I think) the left, and females on the right. If you read the information after a particular chart, it will give you more specifics about the sub groups. It's a bit complicated, and it's assuming that the hen and roo in question don't have any surprises lurking in the back ground of their gene pool. To really simplify matters, at least for the black sex links (I haven't studied the reds yet) any dark colored roo over a cuckoo, barred, or pretty much any pattern which expresses as white and black hen will work. I've had success hatching RIR x PBR, and EE x PBR. This year's sex link offerings, (I'm really excited because they'll be coming exclusively from my own flock) will be EE x SLW and Dominique.

In order for the sex linking to work, you have to breed in the right direction. Dark roo over barred hen works. Barred roo over dark hen does not work.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by