Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissChessy, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Is there a possibility that a hen can mimic a rooster? I got a pair of Partridge Cochin Bantams, I know one is definitely a roo, the other one, I'm not so very sure as they pair up together. I did hear the one try to crow and wondered if that is a possibility this is really a hen trying to be a roo? It doesn't look like a roo yet, and the reason I say that, the comb is a lot smaller than the rooster I have, but the tail feathers look like a roo. I'm confused. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How old are they?

You could very well have two roos.

Keep an eye on them and wait to see if both develop those pointed saddle feathers.

3. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:They are 8 months old.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are 8 months, you should be able to tell if it's a roo or not. Keep watching them. Did you say you saw them mating? If they were mating... then you've got one of each.

I've just never seen a gay rooster before.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It is possible for a hen to mimic a roo, especially if you don't have any roosters. Try doing a search, I've seen quite a few threads about hens crowing and acting like roosters.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't have any Roo's but some of my neighbors do, but I have seen some posts too about pullets or hens trying to crow like a Roo. I have a new batch of chicks. All are susposed to be pullets from Ideal Hatchery. They have a 90% guarentee. I hope they're all girls. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I'm really beginning to think this one Partridge Banty is a she trying to act like a he. It's been a lot of fun watching them get used to the other hens.

8. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:No, I never saw them trying to mate. The roo and the other hen just pair up together and stay together. I figured if they were both roos, they would be fighting each other for territorial rights. My friend who gave us the pair, say they have been inseparable which makes me think it is a hen instead of a rooster. I'm going to try to take pics and learn how to post them on this site if it harelips the country. [​IMG]

9. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I have 2 Roo Brothers who pair up and are lost with out the other,which currently whe are having problems with them because they team up on one girl!!

10. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Wow, what nutty goings on! It sounds like a soap opera...maybe there should be a soap called "All My Chickens"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by