Is it rats?

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I think something is killing my chickens, I've had two birds die so far.The first I thought was a vent prolapse because her vent was very bloody but the wound looked strange to me when I cleaned it up it wasn't bleeding from the inside just on the rim like there were bites taken out of her,after a few weeks when I thought she had healed I found her dead in the nest with a great big gaping hole where her vent should've been!I thought at the time that she just had another internal problem and died while her flock mates ate her.But now this morning I find another healthy bird suddenly dead in the coop with the same tell-tale hole in the vent and under the wings.That's too many coincidences for me to think these were natural deaths,so I'm thinking rats but I'd love to hear opinions!:)

Oh I also forgot to add there were no signs that anything came in through the chicken wire.

Chicken wire? I see what looks like a chain link fence in the background of your profile pic.

Would you please post a pic of the chicken wire fencing you are talking about?

Do you have picture of the injuries to the birds backsides?

Pics of the coop and the run will also help (inside and outside.)

*hugs* I am sorry for your loss.

Chicken wire? I see what looks like a chain link fence in the background of your profile pic.

Would you please post a pic of the chicken wire fencing you are talking about?

Do you have picture of the injuries to the birds backsides?

Pics of the coop and the run will also help (inside and outside.)

*hugs* I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you,that is one of my other coops it has a different fence.:) pictures coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom