Is it really a big deal to give them the correct stage of food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by babsh, Jul 26, 2010.

1. babsh

babsh Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have one 12 week old chick. I am about to run out of chick starter for her. I have 7 other adult hens that I feed layer food.

Do I really have to go buy another 50# bag of chick starter at this point? I know they are supposed to be on it for 16-20 weeks, but I'm wondering if it is that big of a deal to switch her to layer at 12 weeks?

Thanks.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes it is. Feeding a chick layer feed too early means giving the body unneeded calcium in which the chick doesn't know what to do with it. It may also cause the bird to lay too early resulting in prolapse. Also, at 12 weeks, the bird still has a lot of growing out to do still. I know they sell feed in 20 lb. bags, but I think it depends on the brand.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. You could always ask your feed store to sell you half a bag. My other thought is: if one of your girls gets sick, chick crumbles are very easy to mix with yogurt or other things to entice them to eat.

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Songster

Jun 12, 2007
    What do you do if you have a mixed age flock?

5. You could go to Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell for the layers. That is what I'm doing.

6. father-clucker

father-clucker Chirping

Apr 12, 2010
    Southern California
    We ran ours out of starter food recently and in a pinch (it was Sunday -- most places closed) found a local feed chain store that carries O.H. Kruse pellets.. (not laying food).. Our birds are ~3 months old.. They seem to like it.. I suppose we could have gotten another bag of starter food but would have had them starving while waiting for the feed stores to open on Monday.. [​IMG]

7. babsh

babsh Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:Darn. I figured that might be the case.

There are only 50# bags around here, so I guess I just get another bag and let the "big girls" eat it, too.

Barb

8. babsh

babsh Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

You could go to Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell for the layers. That is what I'm doing.

I'm not sure what Flock Raiser is. Is that some sort of in-between food? Either way, the store I go to only offers starter and layer.

Barb​

9. babsh

babsh Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:The big girls can eat the starter, as long as they have oyster shell around, right?

Barb

10. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Is your chick food medicated or unmedicated? I have quit giving my 14 week olds medicated chick feed. I want 30 days with unmedicated feed before they start laying. I am going to use Flock Raiser as soon as I find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: