Is it really a NY state law???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by s6bee, May 7, 2008.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    So I go to pick up some chicks at the local feed store today. No I didn't order any but they always order extra and planned on getting just a couple. Well, they were a bit abrasive and told me that NY state law requires that I HAVE to get a minimum of 6 chicks? Is this accurate? Any other state like that?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    We have a county ordinance that says I have to buy a min. of 12

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] that sounds totally crazy to me

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:what? [​IMG]

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    What would the purpose of those silly ordinances be?

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I have no clue. So I now have 6 more chicks in the old brooder in the basement. They also wouldn't let me go and pick the chicks out. I only wanted RIR's ( I knew they had Golden Comets too ) and so sure enough I got Comets mixed in with the RIR's. So I'm hoping to find them some homes. I'm sure they are nice, but I prefer the dual purpose kind.

How stupid a law is that?

7. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:I live in NY, and there is no such law! Sounds like they were suckering you in! LOL!![​IMG]

8. rhetoric

rhetoric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Western New York
    It's true. I'm going to guess it's an anti "get-some-cute-chicks-at-Easter" repellent. If you buy six, you're likely not just buying a decoration. I did buy 6 from the local farm supply and the next week when she got some different varieties in, she let me buy only two (if I promised not to tell anyone on the BYC -- doh!).

I love everything about New York State -- except the government. Highest taxes in the nation and the least freedom. It's no wonder everyone is moving to North Carolina. Everytime they raise the school tax and say, "It's for the children," I say, "No it's not -- it's for North Carolina. We spend all this money to educate our kids and they can't afford to live here because the dingdang taxes are so high that they have to move to North Carolina."

But I digress.

New York State knows best and they know we cannot be trusted with our own decisions about chickens.

9. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like the local feed store wants to sell you what they want rather than what you want...:mad:

10. mswiggi

mswiggi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Quote:I live in NY, and there is no such law! Sounds like they were suckering you in! LOL!![​IMG]

Critter Crazy, there is such a law. Go into any feed store, or look it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by