Is it really better to have loved and lost chickens........

SIMPleChick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Utah
......than to never have had and loved them in the first place!?

Well....I'll tell ya, my heart still breaks, and my step-kids....since we had to sell our chickens.....My step-daughter is special needs and has epilepsy and I was just diagnosed with lupus. The chickens were my babies and gave me a lot of joy....BUT I then learned my husband was keeping the fact that we were 2 months behind on all our bills.....medical bills and the mortgage.... I was so upset because we needed to pay for 80 dollars of my step-daughters medications and we had 5 dollars in the account. So I sold my chickens....I knew I had to do it, we needed the money and we couldn't afford their food.

So I haven't been on this site for a few months. It's just a reminder of what I don't have anymore! My step-daughter still cried and gets VERY upset over her chickens not being here. Every day after school she would go out, give them a treat, swing with them, chase them around and hold every one of them. And those of you who know special-needs children....routine is the BIGGEST thing in their schedule!

My step-son says he will be getting a job so he can get a couple more chickens this year but we have to sell the house and will most likely not be able to keep the chickens with us where we move! SO SAD! So here is a little tribute to MY sweet chickens who are so dearly missed every day!!! We miss you Mumford, Miss Henny Penny, COokie, Daisy Doodle, BG, Cricket, BugAboos, Echo, Shadow, Trixie, Dixie!!!!

82252_pennyraking.jpeg

82252_help.jpeg

82252_cc3.jpg

82252_welzy2.jpeg

82252_happychicken2.jpeg

82252_we1.jpeg

82252_chicken1.jpeg

82252_brooder2.jpeg

Our dogs even miss them! I pulled up some youtube videos of baby chicks the other day and my dogs came to the computer and started whining! They and the chickens got along SO well! Even the chickens would run to get the dog toy we threw! LOL!
82252_sierra1.jpeg

And we had some BEAUTIFUL EGGS!!!!
82252_youreggs2.jpeg

82252_cookieegg1.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm so sad that you had to sell your flock - i know how attached we can become to them. i hope your finances improve in the coming year.

I wouldn't have thought that the family would have been SO attached to "CHICKENS"! But they are so sweet and funny and the eggs you get from them are SO amazing and tasty! Being a chicken owner is like nothing else! I am glad that half of my hens went to a wonderful lady who lets me come over any time I want to see them! And you know what is funny??? They remember my voice! She has a lot of rescued hens and mine came to me when I called them over....it was so fun to see!

I really am hoping that when we move that we can find a house where we CAN have chickens!!!!!

Last edited:
my father would always say....."keep the faith"..........and things will get better!....you maybe be going through hard times right now.......
but i see more chickens in your life time!!!!........merry christmas....and may next year be a better NEW YEAR for you!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I just found THE best house for sale in a city that is SUPER close to Husbands work! Now the ONLY thing I need to do is SELL MY HOUSE!!!! UGH! Pray for me! I NEED to have our house sold SOON!!!! The back yard has a PERFECT shed JUST for chickens! I am already day dreaming of WHAT kinds of chickens I can get and how many!!!! LOL! .44 acres and the shed I would turn into a coop is under a great tree! It is just SO perfect!

Quote:
Oh, I hope it works out for you. I remember going through the process of selling, knowing you had a great house you wanted to purchase. So very nerve racking. Just like the other posters said, just try to stay positive. Things have a way of working themselves out in the end.

Hope the sale of your house helps with your finances. We are struggling too, and just adopted out our last cockerel today to get him out of the (no-rooster) city. It's so sad to part ways with these creatures that we love. Hope things turn around for you. I find that facing the difficulty straight on has been the key to moving forward for me.
Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom