Is it really okay to add young birds (not Babies) to a flock???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Big Red's Mom, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I have 16 hens and 1 roo. I wanted to add some new birds in the spring. I am getting chicks. I will not put them together until they are
    7 to 8 weeks old. My Uncle says I have to get rid of the old chickens to add the new ones. I want to keep all of my girls and boy. What do ya'll think. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You don't have to get rid of the birds you already have, but it's best to let the younger bunch get to about the same size as the adult birds before you put them together.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Agreed, and be prepared to see some ugly behavior as they restablish the pecking order!

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have put 8 week olds in with the older chickens without issue. Even the rooster was like, "oh okay." [​IMG]

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    agreed...as lond as there is room...don't worry about it! Close confines can lead to some fights but they work through it usually...in my experience as long as the RIR roos leave the little black OEGB alone things are fine...mess with him and the fight is on!

6. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    What age would be best to add them together. My older chickens are Late March Hatch. So these chicks will be about the same time so a good year age difference.

What is the square footage per bird for Standard size?
    4 to 5 feet?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by