Is it really time to assist?

TheChickenShow

Hatching
Mar 19, 2016
Moscow, Ohio
My friends are trying their hands at hatching some Easter Egger chicks from their flock. They are doing this with a homemade incubator. 3 of the 6 eggs pipped approximately 48 hours ago. They are not completely zipped, from what we can tell. They pipped from the correct end, they are visible and breathing. They peep. The humidity right now is 60%, and temp is 100* steady. Theyve not opened the incubator since they saw the first chick pip. They put the eggs in the incubator on Feb 29 so the chicks are hatching a little early.

I included pictures and would like to hear from more experienced people if we are at the point where we should attempt to assist. I'm confident I can zip a bit more for them without damaging the membrane, but just don't know if we should go for it yet. What would you do?

Thanks so much in advance!
Katie

My friends are trying their hands at hatching some Easter Egger chicks from their flock. They are doing this with a homemade incubator. 3 of the 6 eggs pipped approximately 48 hours ago. They are not completely zipped, from what we can tell. They pipped from the correct end, they are visible and breathing. They peep. The humidity right now is 60%, and temp is 100* steady. Theyve not opened the incubator since they saw the first chick pip. They put the eggs in the incubator on Feb 29 so the chicks are hatching a little early.

I included pictures and would like to hear from more experienced people if we are at the point where we should attempt to assist. I'm confident I can zip a bit more for them without damaging the membrane, but just don't know if we should go for it yet. What would you do?

Thanks so much in advance!
Katie

If they've been 48 hours, yes, I would assist, but first I would get that humidity up at least 70%. They may be having problems because the membranes could be dried out around them holding them in place. If you have a couple clean sponges, or clothes I would wet them with some warm water and stick that in there. You could pull one of them out at the same time and start an assist. Make sure you have some water and q-tips or cotton balls to keep the membranes moist as you work and if you see veining stop immedietly and put them back.

I would highly advise before another hatch is done in the incubator that the thermometers and hygrometer that is being used be checked for accuracy. Most cases an early incubator hatch is the result of temps being a little high over the incubation period. If the hygrometer is off and reading higher than it is, that could be a big reason why these eggs haven't progressed and chicks are getting stuck.

Thanks so much for the advice! We have the himidity going up with the addition of some sponges, and I pulled all three and got them zipped better. They are VERY vocal and moving around, so we are going to give them a little longer to try to get themselves out!

Once we got humidity up, and helped zip them some more, things started moving QUICK! We now have 2 completely out, and the third has one foot out and trying like heck to get itself out.

The second one still is attached to the egg by its umbilical cord. We are letting it be for now. That's the right course of action for that, correct?

Thanks again for the help! Sometimes you think you know, but it helps to have someone more experienced reinforce your knowledge!

Once we got humidity up, and helped zip them some more, things started moving QUICK! We now have 2 completely out, and the third has one foot out and trying like heck to get itself out.

The second one still is attached to the egg by its umbilical cord. We are letting it be for now. That's the right course of action for that, correct?

Thanks again for the help! Sometimes you think you know, but it helps to have someone more experienced reinforce your knowledge!
Yeah, just keep an eye on the one still attached to make sure the siblings don't start pecking at it. It should seperate itself, if not you can tie it off near the "navel" and cut it. Congrats on the little ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom