Is it safe? Chick age difference...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissD'uccle, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    I have a chick that hatched 3 1/2 weeks ago and she has been kept company by three adult button quail until now....

I just hatched out a handfull of new chicks and was wondering if it was safe to place the new chicks with the 3 1/2 week old. The brooder is very large and gives enough area for the temperature to be warm enough for the new chicks but areas are cool enough for the larger chick to be comfortable as well.

Any thoughts?

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I would not put them to gether right now. The new borns are so small that they could be seriously hurt by the older chick, even if the older chick is just being courious.I would give them at least a couple of weeks before introducing them to give the little guys a chance to grow enough to be able to protect themselves.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I put my 5week old Speckled Sussex roo with 2day old EEs and with it being the only older chick I have had no pecking because the older chick is the boss. [​IMG] No pecking order needed.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Watch and see I would think.
    I have always heard that red lights decrease pecking. Don't know for sure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can you put them where they can see each other but not peck? And see how it goes?

6. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    ive got my 69day old silkys in with my year old hens/roos and no problems in the past 3weeks they cuddle up under the roosters and 1 of my silkys roost and forces 1 of my hens off the roost trying to cuddle (still dont know how the lil fluff ball gets up ther) then he gets under 1 of my roosters wings and sleeps there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by