Is it safe for my ducklings to nibble on my dahlias?

jujubean99

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
My ducklings go wild for chard, lettuce and my dahlias! But I wanted to make sure it was safe for them. I've tried to research this but can't seem to find answers. Anyone know anything about this? Thank you.

Just as an add on, I have a Dahlia bed in my backyard. I've never seen the chickens pay any attention to them. They would like to scratch them up.
I've never had ducks, so maybe not so helpful.

Imp

Give your ducks some credit. They will nibble everything and find out really fast what doesn't sit right. Never heard of a duck dying from plants. I guess they are smart enough to only try small amounts first and see if it tastes good and how they feel after eating it. Ducks are really smart and follow their genetic instincts. I've seen mine nibble on forsythias and they did ignore them really fast. Not sure if it is a toxic plant they just don't like it. Same will daylilies. So I let them try everything they want and they usually love the dandelions best.
Katharina

Quote:
Interesting link but disturbing. It lists what the plants do to humans. You cannot put a 100% connection to ducks from that. Birds can most of the time eat things that make us sick without any symptoms or consequences. They need to fix their site.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom