Is it safe for my hens to have a berry buffet?

InNC

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
The little boogers found my berries. They have gotten brave of late and are exploring new areas of the property. (I live on family land, several acres) Now that they know where to find fresh Strawberries and Dewberries are they are spending a lot of time eating berries. Soon the blueberries and figs will ripen too, then the grapes. I don't mind them pilfering, I just wonder if it is OK for their diet? I mean, I know what happens when my kids eat too much fruit.😳

Attachments

• 20230423_164515.jpg
    20230423_164515.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Thank you! 😊 They are even nice enough to taste test the unripe strawberries for me. The green ones all have a nibble taken out. 😄 Like Sourland said, no berries for me this year. Lol
I have a blueberry bush and even when their's no berries my girls will eat the buds or plant I don't let them over their anymore!

My chickens regularly raid the blackberries and blueberries. They look like popcorn popping up and down to get them. Hilarious! -never had any issues with the chickens supplementing their diets with forage in the berry patches. (and we had enough berries from the tops of the vines and bushes until the Mockingbirds descended. -will be netting the tops this year!)

My chickens regularly raid the blackberries and blueberries. They look like popcorn popping up and down to get them. Hilarious! -never had any issues with the chickens supplementing their diets with forage in the berry patches. (and we had enough berries from the tops of the vines and bushes until the Mockingbirds descended. -will be netting the tops this year!)
I would love a video!!! That is just too funny!

Back
Top Bottom