1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it safe to bring a new silkie into my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by neesey, Feb 20, 2012.

1. neesey

neesey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    Heya we currently have six chooks 4 hyline hens and 2 silkies one being a cockral. There all about 4 months old apart from one hyline which is older than the others but I dont know by how much she is a fair bit bigger and more matured, not laying yet though.

Anywho a friend of mine rescued a silkie from an abandoned house unfortunately the other other chickens in that coop had died from starvation. She nursed her back to health and shes a super little pullet now. Good and Healthy.

My friend has no intentions of keeping her as she doesn't ideally have the space and doesn't want her to be lonely. I am hoping to take her but as a newby I am unsure as to whether this is a good idea or a bad idea?? Is it possible to bring her successfully into my flock?

Thanks (",)

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    When I added new chicks to my 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte "mean girls" I placed the cage in the coop. They could see each other and when they got bigger, I opened the cage door. The chicks would run back in the cage for safety and they slept in there. When they got big enough and felt secure enough to start roosting with the 2 older hens, I took the cage out. I would suggest putting the silkie in the coop in a cage so they can all adjust for a week or 2. Then let her out and see how it goes. good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Same here. My coop has a safe zone.

4. neesey

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    Aw thanks thats great advice I will definately do that. Thank you (",)

5. neesey

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    Thank You (",)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by