Is it safe to buy birds from someone you don't know?

chick818

Songster
Apr 22, 2009
I have been looking for a couple of Ameraucanas to add to my small flock that are about 7 weeks old. I found someone within driving distance from my house and his are 8 weeks old. My question is, how do I know they are healthy? I don't plan on showing or breeding (altough I do want them to be of true breed, they just don't have to be top notch as far as that goes) I just want to enjoy the bird and it's eggs as a pet with my kids.

Thank You

Last edited:
you should keep any new birds completely separated from your flock for at least 30 days....

To quarantine any new birds or coming in from shows, I have them in a nice rabbit pen on the opposite side of my yard. Have not had any problems.

I also take a look at the place too because if is clean, well kept, well ventilated and well cared for, then I would buy birds from them. If it is run down, dirty, smelly, birds looks iffy, then I would walk away.

Yes quarantine your birds for 30 days, and go from there.

OK, so I spoke to the guy again. He said that he bought them from Mt. Healthy Hactchery and they were going to keep them somewhere else but that has fallen through and now he has to get rid of them. He said that they have not been around any other birds and they are about 7/8 weeks old. I asked if there was a receipt from the hatchery and if he could send me pics.

I agree with the other posts. Regardless of where he got the chicks, if you do buy them, please check out how their living conditions are. Also I think you should still quarantine them for at least 30 days. I put mine in a run next to my existing flock so that they can see each other and kind of get used to each other before I integrate them. When I do put them together I put them together in the yard and have plenty of scratch/grain/seed treats for them so they concentrate more on the treats than each other. All integrations may be different. I had two aggressive hens from my first flock that like to beat up the pullets but since yours will be closer to the same age you may not have any problems.

OK, so I spoke to the guy again. He said that he bought them from Mt. Healthy Hactchery

I hate to tell you but they will be EEs not pure Ameraucanas, but you could still get pretty green or blue eggs from them.​

Quote:
I hate to tell you but they will be EEs not pure Ameraucanas, but you could still get pretty green or blue eggs from them.

Really?? Is that what comes out of that hatchery? Well, I do like them too. And these birds need to go some place, but I still have to be careful. Boy those Ameraucanas are tought to get....

Thank You for letting me know...

Back
Top Bottom