1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it safe to call this 12 week old Polish a GIRL?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FaithWalkFarms, Apr 12, 2016.

1. FaithWalkFarms

FaithWalkFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Aggieland, Texas
    12 weeks on Friday. No crowing and zero wattle/comb growth or coloration (my other polishof the same age started growing his bright red wattles/comb weeks ago).

I am wanting to lean toward pullet but some of the feathers are throwing me off. Opinions?

(New Pic #1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm actually thinking cockerel. Can we get a profile shot of the bird standing naturally? What I'm looking at are those brighter red feathers coming in, that's pretty much a male trait. Plus, the 'fro looks wild and irregular, a pullet is usually a smooth bouffant and this bird's looks more wild rocker.

3. FaithWalkFarms

Feb 17, 2013
    Aggieland, Texas
    Well, boo! I was hoping the zero wattle/comb growth meant girl.

Here are two of him standing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't see from those pics, sorry.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I can't see them well in the photos either - except that does look like a wild type crest - which could mean cockerel.

6. FaithWalkFarms

Feb 17, 2013
    Aggieland, Texas
    I added a closer photo of him (gah) standing in the very first post -- that's the best I can get because Chase NEVER stops moving.

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    The dark red feathers coming in and wild crest are all screaming cockledoodledoo!

8. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    In the one photo of him/her being held, it looks like a telltale roo orange-red saddle feather starting to grow out from the girls arm. With the darker orange-red on the crest and saddle feathers I think it might be a cockerel. Depending on the hatchery, sometimes the girls really have a small "old-lady" crest compared to the males. If you know what the girls look like from his/her line you might be able to tell, or just give the bird a few more weeks. My roo looked like a girl for a long time but eventually he grew definite roo feathers:
    [​IMG]
    12 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    16 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    (the saddle feathers overlapping the tip of the wing are very obvious in this pic)
    I heard a lot of polish mature slowly...mine was mating the hens long before he crowed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by